How to Clean your Origami Owl ® Silver Plated Chains

How to Clean your Origami Owl ® Silver Plated Chains

18 Jul, 2013
hootinglockets
, , , ,
23 comments

The other day I took off my favorite Origami Owl ® chain (the beautiful, chunky Custom Silver Rolo) and laid it on the bathroom counter while talking to my 5 year old son. He looked at it and said “eww Mom, what did you do to your necklace? It’s all funky!”

After checking it out, he was right. This humid Georgia summer and me wearing it literally every single day, every place I go, had taken it’s toll on my beautiful, shiny chain. It had “funk” on it and it was also tarnished inside the links as well as everywhere else. My first thought was, OH MY how do I get inside those links to clean them? And, sheesh that is going to be a forever tedious task.

So, I set out to find the best way to restore my silver chains to their original sparkle. I searched the internet for days, asked every O2 Designer I could find and came up with a list of things that “work” for different people. TarnX is said to work on all of the plated jewelry from O2 (disclaimer, I haven’t actually tried this, but some say it works really great, especially on the rose gold plates), others use jewelry cloths or baking soda toothpaste.

After all the research and all the advice. I decided on the easy, “have the stuff in the house” technique of Baking Soda, Salt and Aluminum Foil. And I must say, I am VERY pleased with the results and my chains are more than perfect and shiny for me to wear and to show off at my upcoming Jewelry Bar this weekend.

Another Disclaimer: I did NOT try this on any products other than our silver plated chains. I did not try on gold, rose gold, plates or tags.

Here is how to clean your Origami Owl ® Silver Plated Chains, Step by Step:

Here is a picture of what my chain looked like before I cleaned it. Funky right?

IMG_5932

This is what you will need to clean your chain. It should all be in your kitchen already ;) Baking Soda, Aluminum Foil and regular Table Salt.

photo(11)

Line the inside of a bowl with aluminum foil.

photo(7)

Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of table salt.

photo(9)

Add HOT water until the bowl is about half way full, then stir until the baking soda and salt are mostly dissolved.

photo(8)

Put your chain in the bowl, and let it sit for 10 minutes.

photo(6)

photo(5)

Rinse your chain off with soap and warm water, thoroughly.

photo(4)

Completely dry the chain with a lint free cloth. Then lay flat for a few hours to make sure no moisture is lingering around.

photo(2)

And WALLAH! Sparkling, beautiful, non tarnished chain!!

photo(1)

23 Comments

1. Great website with so much infomation | Charms, Chains and Lockets July 29, 2013 at 7:39 am Reply

[…] website has so much helpful […]

2. Brandy September 12, 2013 at 1:36 pm Reply

Have you tried this with any other chains, dangles, etc yet?

• hootinglockets September 13, 2013 at 1:41 am Reply

I have only done with the silver chains, (silver ball station, 32″ oval link, and custom roll) and a few of the crystal dangles.

3. Tami October 7, 2013 at 7:43 pm Reply

Thanks for that! I just had a Jewelry Bar in San Diego at the beach where we were staying and I think a few things came back not looking so good. I have another JB Friday night, so I am anxious to try this out!

4. Kim November 17, 2013 at 2:34 pm Reply

So glad I found this!! My necklace is getting tarnished. Do you know anyone that’s tried this on the rose gold plate? You mentioned about that you’d heard people had so I wanted to check before I did it. Thx! Kim

• Jamie April 23, 2014 at 2:52 pm Reply

Clean the rose gold plates with KETCHUP! works miracles!

5. Heather December 4, 2013 at 11:52 pm Reply

How about the tag line.I am haveing a hard time with the family tag

• Jamie April 23, 2014 at 2:53 pm Reply

I polish my tags with a regular jewelry polishing cloth & they come out sparkling

6. Karianna January 22, 2014 at 5:29 pm Reply

Thank you for this! My chain is tarnishing and starting to smell bad as well. Glad I didn’t rush out to buy the Tarn-X. Also,
    Because I’m nerdy like that… It’s “Voila.”

7. Web Hosting Peru April 12, 2014 at 12:03 am Reply

Hi, I log on to your blogs on a regular basis.
    Your story-telling style is awesome, keep up the good work!

8. mary c. April 24, 2014 at 12:57 pm Reply

I tried it today on a silver plated origami owl chain that had some moderate tarnish. It came out looking great…thanks for posting this!

9. TerryLynne Ramsey May 1, 2014 at 7:54 pm Reply

I have seen this done and I am doing it now but it WORKED great!

10. Terry G. May 18, 2014 at 2:50 pm Reply

What is the purpose of the aluminum foil in this process?

11. Jan May 20, 2014 at 3:25 pm Reply

I love my origami owl gold chain, plate and locket but I can not wear it due to tarnish. What can I do. I was also given a sliver dangle for Mother’s Day. When it arrive in the mail it was tarnished. What can I do.
    Jan

12. Origami owl fan June 8, 2014 at 10:06 pm Reply

This works great and is so easy! Thank you so much!

13. disappointed June 23, 2014 at 10:59 pm Reply

My chain became SO tarnished, it can no longer be worn. I’ve tried silver cleaner and it made NO difference in the tarnish. Am now trying the salt, baking soda, aluminum foil and hot (boiling) water to see if it works. In the meantime, I was forced to buy a chain at a retail store so I can wear my memory locket. VERY disappointed the silver (dipping) cleaner didn’t help.

• disappointed June 23, 2014 at 11:08 pm Reply

tarnish is gone using the baking soda, salt, aluminum foil and boiling water…..I let it soak ten minutes….THANK YOU for the help. ;)

14. MIMI July 26, 2014 at 9:00 am Reply

what is the purpose of the aluminum foil?

15. minecraft July 30, 2014 at 2:56 am Reply

Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing months of hard work due
    to no data backup. Do you have any methods to stop hackers?

• hootinglockets September 8, 2014 at 5:16 pm Reply

I haven’t had that issue thankfully. I just use Spam filters and make sure not to approve “spammy” comments.

16. Brenda August 23, 2014 at 6:08 am Reply

The tarnish is really a sulfur reaction with the air. The salt creates an electrical charge and makes the tarnish leave the silver and move toward the aluminum. It does not remove the silver plating.

• hootinglockets September 8, 2014 at 5:14 pm Reply

Awesome Brenda!! Thanks for the info!!

17. Lynne August 24, 2014 at 9:15 pm Reply

Super easy! And it worked!